Redox is a general purpose operating system written in pure Rust. Our aim is to provide a fully functioning Unix-like microkernel, that is both secure and free.
We have modest compatibility with POSIX, allowing Redox to run many programs without porting.
At this time, Redox supports:
- All x86-64 CPUs.
- Graphics cards with VBE support (all Nvidia, Intel, and AMD cards from the past decade have this).
- AHCI disks.
- E1000 or RTL8168 network cards.
- Intel HDA audio controllers.
- Mouse and keyboard with PS/2 emulation. TODO: update
This book is broken into the following chapters:
- Chapter 1 - What is Redox all about
- Chapter 2 - Building and Running Redox
- Chapter 3 - Redox Execution
- Chapter 4 - Redox Conceptual Overview (Work in Progress)
- Chapter 5 - Developing Redox Programs and Packages
- Chapter 6 - Contributing and Communicating with the Team
It is written such that you do not need any prior knowledge in Rust and/or OS development.